Friday, March 13, 2009

Good Morning!

Just returned home from a four-day vacation with my two oldest daughters. It was their "Spring Break" and they invited me to come along. Loved spending time with them! Many thanks to my dear husband for "holding down the fort" while I was gone!

What I learned about preparedness while I was vacationing:

1. ALWAYS carry extra band-aids with you in your pocket, purse, or wallet!
2. ALWAYS carry spare change with you in case you need to purchase band-aids (because your spare band-aids are in your emergency car kit and/or hotel room.)
3. Think twice about wearing those summer shoes you haven't worn all winter (without socks to boot) especially when about to walk thirteen plus miles (unless you absolutely have extra band-aids with you!)
4. Take a good book along for those times when you are recovering from your blisters. :)

Because there was no "free" internet access available where we were staying, I was extremely grateful to have some good books along to read during those "down time" moments. One of my new favorite books is now "Let's Roll! Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage" by Lisa Beamer, wife of 9-11 hero Todd Beamer with Ken Abraham. Make sure you have a box of tissues with you when you pick this one up.

An important thing she stressed was to put our trust in God. I quote:
"Lately I've been trying to look at the bigger picture, to discover what I'm supposed to learn from all this. I'm sure I have much growth yet to experience, but I've gleaned a few insights. Probably the most important truth is that my security must be in God rather than in anything or anyone in this world.

"Think about it: the World Trade Center represented economic power, success, and security, yet it was shaken and destroyed in one hour or less. The Pentagon is the symbol of our nation's military might, yet it, too, proved vulnerable. Where can we find true security in these days?

"The men and women in the Trade Center towers, the Pentagon, and aboard the four hijacked planes were some of the best our nation had to offer. They were the picture of intelligence, energy, and power. Yet their best wasn't good enough to keep the enemy from attacking, maiming, and killing several thousand people.

"But I have found safety and security in a loving heavenly Father, who cannot be shaken, who will never leave me or forsake me, and in whom I can trust completely. For those looking for hope, I recommend grabbing the hand of your heavenly Father as tightly as possible, like a little child does with his parent. God is a hero who will always be there when you need him."

No comments: